Protecting Children from Button Battery Accidents: Essential Tips for Every Parent

Uncategorized Jan 02, 2023

As many parents are aware, button batteries can be a potential danger to small children if swallowed. What you may not know is that when a child swallows one of these tiny round discs it can cause serious injury or even death. At the very least, it can lead to emergency medical treatment and expensive hospital bills. To ensure your family’s safety, it’s essential for all parents to understand the dangers button batteries pose and take steps to protect their kids from unfortunate accidents. In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the risks associated with button battery ingestion and provide helpful tips on how you can safeguard your young ones from such disasters.

What are button batteries and why are they dangerous?

Button batteries are small, round batteries that are commonly found in watches, calculators, and remote controls. They are also used in a variety of medical devices, including hearing aids and oxygen tanks. While button batteries can provide power to these devices, they can also be very dangerous if swallowed.

 

If a child swallows a button battery, it can get stuck in their throat. The battery can then start to corrode, releasing chemicals that can burn the child's throat and esophagus. In some cases, the child may require surgery to remove the battery.

 

Parents should take precautions to keep button batteries away from children. If you have a device that uses a button battery, make sure to store the battery in a safe place where children cannot reach it. If your child does swallow a battery, seek medical attention right away.

How do button batteries cause injury?

Button batteries are small and easily accessible, making them a popular choice for kids' toys and other gadgets. However, they can also be extremely dangerous if ingested. If a button battery is swallowed, it can cause serious injury or death due to the chemical reaction it creates when it comes into contact with moisture. This reaction can create a current that burns through tissue, leading to severe internal injuries. In some cases, surgery is required to remove the battery. It's important to keep button batteries out of reach of children and to always store them in a secure place.

What are the signs and symptoms of button battery ingestion?

If a child swallows a button battery, it can cause severe injuries to the esophagus. The battery can get stuck and start to corrode, leading to bleeding and a hole in the esophagus. Symptoms of a button battery ingestion include vomiting, difficulty breathing, and chest pain. If you think your child has swallowed a button battery, seek medical help immediately.

What should you do if you think your child has swallowed a battery?

If you think your child has swallowed a battery, it is important to seek medical attention right away. Batteries can cause serious injuries if they are swallowed, and can even lead to death in some cases. Some of the symptoms that may indicate that a child has swallowed a battery include vomiting, coughing, and chest pain. If you think your child has swallowed a battery, do not wait to seek medical help - it is important to get treatment as soon as possible.

How can you prevent your child from swallowing a battery?

Batteries are a common household item, and it is important to keep them out of reach of children. Swallowing a battery can cause serious injury, including choking, internal bleeding, and even death. There are several ways to prevent your child from swallowing a battery.

 

The first step is to keep batteries in a safe place where children cannot reach them. This means keeping them in a locked cabinet or drawer, or putting them in a battery case that snaps shut. It is also important to keep track of which batteries are in your home and to remove any unused batteries from devices.

 

If you think your child has swallowed a battery, it is important to call the doctor right away. The doctor will be able to determine if the battery is causing any damage and will provide instructions on how to remove it if necessary.

 

Button batteries are small, round, and silver. They power many of our household devices, such as watches, remote controls, and hearing aids. But button batteries can be dangerous if swallowed by young children. If a child swallows a button battery, it could get stuck in their throat and cause serious burns or even death. Symptoms of button battery ingestion include vomiting, abdominal pain, drooling, and difficulty swallowing. If you think your child has swallowed a button battery, call poison control immediately at 1-800-222-1222. You can also prevent your child from swallowing a button battery by keeping all devices that use them out of reach and sight of young children.

 

More Info

Read Washington Post Article Here https://www.washingtonpost.com/parenting/2022/08/29/button-battery-ingestion/

Close

50% Complete

Two Step

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.